Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy 3rd birthday, Nathan!

I'm going to jump on this birth-story-for-birthdays bandwagon because it's such a great idea!  Not to mention the fact that I love birth stories myself!

Nathan was by far my easiest labor and delivery.  For some reason, everything about my pregnancy with him was laid back and relaxed.  Although I was quite sick in the beginning and had some sort of cardio-pulmonary scare around the 7-month mark, pregnancy with Nathan was footloose and fancy free.  I don't remember ever being anxious for birth or feeling like I was going to die if I didn't deliver immediately.  And that is probably because he surprised us by coming at 38 weeks and 5 days!

It was a Tuesday afternoon.  I had my weekly OB appointment, and Natalie stayed with Kevin while I went down there myself.  At the appointment, my midwife checked me and said I was 4 cm dilated.  And I responded, "that's technically active labor, right?!"  She said yes, if there were noticeable contractions which there weren't at the time.  Then she proceeded to tell me not to go into labor that night because she was going to be on the WCIA morning show the next day and wouldn't be on call that night.  Ummm...ok?

So I left the appointment around 4:45 feeling pretty excited that I could potentially go into labor at any time.  And as soon as I got on I-57 heading back to Rantoul, there were the contractions.  Not painful, just noticeable, regular, and obviously labor.  I got home a little after 5 and fixed supper.  Kevin had a meeting that night, so I was busy putting Natalie to bed all the while knowing that that night was the night.  I called my mom around 7:30 and told her what was going on, and she prepared to come stay with Natalie.  I called Kevin and told him we were going but that he didn't have to hurry because the contractions still weren't painful.

My mom and Kevin both got to the house at about the same time around 8:15, and off we went.  We drove slowly to the hospital (no rushing or freaking out), and we talked and enjoyed being together.  We got to the hospital around 9, and they had no beds on the labor and delivery floor.  We had to wait a little bit until they decided that they would just put me in a recovery room until another room opened up.  They did all my admission stuff and checked me again to find that I was 6 cm dilated and like 75% effaced.

We got more excited that he was coming, but we were on our phones texting friends and checking facebook and talking back and forth.  I still marvel at how calm and natural we felt.  It was really quite a different feel than Natalie's birth and even Nola's birth also.  Finally they were able to move us into a regular room, and there we were blessed with the best nurse ever.  I don't remember her name, but she was awesome.  And we also got to meet with the midwife on call, Cathy.  She was so fantastic, and she checked me and said I was about 7 and that the water was bulging and would likely break if I got up and walked around.  So we walked for awhile still chatting and laughing as if we were on a date rather than having a baby.

The water didn't break, so we went back to the room since we were sort of tired and then she broke my water.  They kept asking me if I wanted an epidural or if I thought I'd be okay, and I really had no idea what to expect since the first part had been so easy.  But I was afraid that I would end up really close to the end and freaking out, so I took the epidural at about 8 1/2 cm.  I fell asleep for awhile, and woke up to ridiculous pain on my left side.  I could feel everything.  Contractions, his head, everything.  I buzzed the nurse, and when she came in I said, "it's time."  And she told me that she would check me and that it was likely that I was just feeling more pressure.  But when she checked me, she said, "Okie dokie, you're about to have a baby!"

Cathy came in and got ready, and I was feeling this insane urge to push.  I pushed through it, and he was almost out.  I pushed again, and he crowned.  I pushed one last time, and his shoulders came through and our baby boy was born at 3:43 in the morning on April 22nd under a crescent moon with a star (or something) on each side of it.  They put him up on my chest, and he didn't make a sound.  They sucked the stuff out of his mouth and nose and put him under the heat and still he was quiet.  I started to get a little worried, but Kevin was so awesome to come and tell me he was fine and breathing normally.  And then one of the nurses moved out of the way and I could see for myself that his little chest was going up and down.  He was just so relaxed like we were that he must not have felt like crying.

And that's the story of our precious boy's birth.  He's such a handsome little guy.  He's growing into quite the little storyteller and sweet brother.  Here are some pictures from his birthday celebration today.

Breakfast: birthday waffles with nutella and sprinkles.

Grandma helping Nathan open his birthday present

Post-dinner cupcake
Nathan's stats:
He's 38.6 lbs and 42" tall.

Nathan's favorite things:
his sisters
school and all of his friends.
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
scrambled eggs
praying when somebody gets an owie
Thomas the train
going for rides in the car
going to parks with Daddy and Sissy
laughing and being silly
having Daddy lay with him while he goes to sleep
helping Grandma with grocery shopping
spending time at Grandma and Grandpa's house

I can't wait for his class party tomorrow.  I'm going to bring bubbles and join them for their outside time and then read the kids a story.  And then Nathan gets to bless each of his friends with an "I Spy" book of their very own. 

Love celebrating my kiddos even though the time goes by way too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment