Thursday, December 22, 2011

Proverbs 4:23

Guard your heart above all else,
for it determines the course of your life.


I've read this verse frequently in the past couple weeks and just last week added it to my list of verses that I want to memorize in the coming year.  And it just hit me as I read it tonight that if I teach my children nothing else, I hope I effectively teach them this.


Guarding their hearts will be my job for a few more years yet, but I hope that by the time they begin school and start to make some bigger choices for themselves they will have this embedded in their hearts and minds.  


I pray that they will be filled with the Holy Spirit and all the good thoughts and attitudes that come along with it.  It is my hope that they learn that the contents of their hearts will spill out into everything they do.  I want them to learn to guard their hearts and be aware that not everything in this world is good for them even though they have no reason to walk in fear because of parts of life that aren't so good.  Father, just protect my kids and help me teach them to appropriately guard their hearts.  Help them to be filled with all the good things you have for them.  In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment