Friday, November 18, 2011

Daily Devotion

I've started doing a Bible reading plan through YouVersion by Joyce Meyers.  There's a piece of scripture along with a short devotion, and so far I'm loving it.  It is exactly what I need to "hear" right now.

Yesterday's devotion was about keeping the presence of God close to me to help me focus on what He would have for me rather than all of life's extra distractions.  She referenced John 14:23 which says "Jesus replied, “All who love me will do what I say. My Father will love them, and we will come and make our home with each of them."  I love that it's that simple.  All I have to do is obey.  Strangely that's what I keep telling Natalie..."Life will be so much easier for you when you just do what I say!"  And then I read something like that, and I feel about as big as a peanut and my response is, "Ok, God.  I guess that applies to me too."  And then the best part is that Jesus promises that He and God (and the Holy Spirit) will come and make their home in me.  Love that!  I'm so thankful for the renovations that are going on in my heart right now to make a home for Jesus.


Today's devotion blew me away.  It's something I've been thinking about and having lots of visions and direct instructions about lately.  Dreams.  Not sleeping dreams so much as dreams of who I want to be and who God wants me to be.  For a really long time, those two dreams couldn't have been farther apart.  But I'm starting to see who I am in the Kingdom, and it's really, really exciting.  The verse for today is Proverbs 29:18 which says this: "When people do not accept divine guidance, they run wild.  But whoever obeys the law is joyful."  Oh my goodness do I remember running wild thinking I'm running this show that is my life.  Still do sometimes, but not like I used to.  I'm enjoying the joy that comes with obedience, and I have a feeling it's only going to get better as I continue to follow the instructions I've been given.  In the devotional part of today's reading Joyce Meyers wrote this: "That means you...need to find a balance between contentment and ambition. Here's the key: Learn to enjoy where you are on the way to where you're going."  All I have to say is thank you God. 

Growth is an amazing thing.  And it's something that I'm finally seeing in myself while I'm going through it instead of seeing it in hindsight.

So thank you God for all you're doing in my life and in the lives of those around me.  Help me to stay focused on you and what you have for me so that I can remain obedient to your instructions and see the promises in your word.  Help me to live my dreams even as I do the footwork to make it all happen the way that You see it.  Thank you for loving me Jesus.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I really like your blog today, its so real and befitting. I'm grateful to know you're at peace with yourself and with God to feel HIS presence. May HIS blessing multiply within you daily.....

    ReplyDelete