Wednesday, August 31, 2011

2 Corinthians 4:17-18

"For our present troubles are small and won't last very long.  Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever!  So we don't look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our gaze on things that cannot be seen.  For the things we see now will soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever."

I love it when the Holy Spirit speaks to me.  This is something I've been struggling with for quite some time - really, my entire life.   I get so focused on a problem that my attitude stinks.  I've noticed this especially in my parenting lately.

I guess I should be more aware of the fact that new problems come and go very quickly with young children, but sometimes the tedious little issues that come with everyday life seem to last far longer than my patience does.  For example, Natalie's sudden mean streak that has reared it's ugly head.  Or Nathan's refusal to stop jumping on his bed long enough to take a nap.  Or Nola's strange and less comfortable latch during feedings which is brought on by the two new little teeth that have made their grand entrance.  The truth is that probably by this time next week, these problems will be history and a new set of issues will be front and center.

Father, help me to look past these problems and focus on the things that You've laid before me to do.  Help me to realize that all these minor annoyances will pass away and that there will indeed be a time in my life that I miss having these issues.  Draw my eyes and thoughts to You so that my attitude toward my children reflects Your attitude toward me.  Thank You for the things that I can't yet see and the faith to believe in them.  In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment