Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Turkey pot pies...it's what's for dinner!

Yesterday I took out a package of ground turkey with the intention to make turkey burgers tonight.  As I was reading the package (weird thing about me, I always read packages for fun - even ingredients most of the time), I noticed there was a suggestion for turkey pot pies.  No real instructions given, just use their brand of turkey, some gravy and vegetables, and a pie crust and voila!  You have a turkey pot pie.

So I made up my own recipe.  And this is for anybody like me who likes homemade-y kind of food without the homemade-y preparation or time.

Ingredients







Ingredients....plus a 1/2 a can of cream of onion soup and a can of carrots

Cook ground turkey in a few tablespoons (or turns of the pan, if you're Rachael Ray) of olive oil.  Season with a little onion powder, salt, and pepper.   Add vegetables, 1 can of turkey gravy, and 1/2 can of cream of onion soup.  The onion soup was a stand-in for me because the can of turkey gravy wasn't enough to get it gravyish enough for me.  Then I added some milk - probably somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cup.  Just stir in a little as you go until you get the desired consistency.  Warm through.

 Spoon into oven safe bowls.

I intended to use pie crust, but since I didn't have any shortening and I was running short on time anyway, I sent Kevin to the store for some pre-made pie crust.  He tried to call me to verify whether I wanted Pillsbury cresent dough or pie crust, but since I was busy with Nola he made a guess.  I got the dough.  So I stretched it out a little and used one bowl as a cut-out to cut the four pieces I needed to cover the pot pies. 

Covered up and ready to bake


Popped them in the oven at 350 for 18 minutes, and they turned out gorgeous.  Hopefully they'll taste as good as they look!

All done!!

No comments:

Post a Comment