Thursday, October 13, 2011

Don't worry, be happy

I was just reading Philippians 4:6-7...

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.  Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done.  Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.  His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.

This passage makes me think about all the other things I associate with the phrase "don't worry."

Like this, for example.  Bobby McFerrin's "Don't Worry Be Happy."  Can you imagine Paul singing this to the Philippians?  And adding that they should pray about everything, of course.  But the basic gist is there. 

The other association with "don't worry" I have is a memory of my grandma.  Whenever she would take us traveling or even when we'd stay at home and one of us would express a concern over details, she would say (in her Belgian accent with a New Yorker twist) "Don't wooorry about it!"  

I love remembering these things when I start to worry about something.  They instantly make me smile and remind me that things are not as big a deal as they seem in my head.

So thank you Paul.  Thank you Bobby.  And thank you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment